Sunday, January 07, 2007

Antietam Mattress Massacre


In the two years I lived on Belmont St. I never once slept on a proper mattress. Right across the street was Dixie Mattress. I would watch but never once saw a single soul go in. Two years I spent mostly on the floor. I had a futon given to me by my sister but It ruined my back something wicked. It was here I realized that no matter how much love a human can hold inside or believe to hold inside - destruction will always come first. There are always those strange angels waiting on your rooftop to knock once or twice during the night to remind you. And now I'm on the other Belmont crying out: "I'm too old for this, I should be farting in the morning on my way for coffee and my job working for the town department driving a snowplow!!!"

But we all know it doesn't snow anymore. And just like that all of my childhood memories become ancient dreams. All of the storms and snow days. I'd pray for any snowfall above an inch. It's always springtime now. The world won't end. We'll pass through a black hole first, and none of us will be any wiser. just gone. destruction is inevitable...love is an invention.

Hang in there, indeed!!!

No comments: