Saturday, August 09, 2008

As a Yankee fan

I will never admit defeat until the first week of October, but there comes a time when all sports fans have to be realistic about their teams current situation. Last night was the first Yankee game I have failed to watch all season. I woke up around 1am and they were losing, no surprise, so I changed the channel and found myself captivated by the gold medal round of women's 10m air rifle. I am seriously considering only watching games in which Mussina pitches, Mussina being the only Yankee who has a chance of winning any award this season. 162 games is such a huge investment of time, and it is a waste to watch loss after loss by a team that has spent close to 2 billion dollars in payroll over the last 8 years and has nothing much to show for it. A Cy Young for Mussina would be impressive, and with 15 wins so far at 39 years old you can't deny that he stands a chance of winning it. (i'll probably keep my eye on Ponson. i love any pitcher who gets a dwi and then starts a fight with an Aruban judge during sentencing...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

manny says he wants to be pinstipes....and i couldn't be happier. sure you don't want to stick around for the pavano expiring contract countdown?

Anonymous said...

i think pavano will make one start, and break his ankle on his way to the mound