Thursday, January 18, 2007

California here we come, right back where we started from

Reason number 7,015 to love this city:


Yesterday it snowed 3 inches and the whole city shut down. My classes were cancelled, banks closed and people were crazy with joy. We sat in the bar (me, JC, KR and Adri) watching people on Hawthorne. People were straight up skiing all serious down the street. One guy was being pulled by a truck on his snowboard. JC couldn't resist the temptation to run outside and challenge some random guy across the street to a snowball fight (he accepted the challenge). We also saw that guy she fucked from the hot dog stand walking down the street with his gf. They looked pretty normal. I'll never trust anyone again.


We had a flask filled with whiskey and we were drunk by 2pm. Fashioned 'sleds' out of some random plastic thingies and went up to Mt. Tabor. I felt giddy with snow lust and warm whiskey and basically just threw myself down the hill when our 'sleds' failed miserably. It was fucking beautiful up there, all snowy. Everyone was out and about and so happy.
Hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps in front of the fireplace later. I put on Abbey Road and we were basically crying about how fucking amazing it was. We repeated it 5 times that night and my dreams had the soundtrack of "Here Comes the Sun King." Some people came over and we played old skool parlor games together, laughing forever. Slowly breaking off pieces of the Christmas tree and throwing it in the fire. We had decorated the tree with dyed tampons and so there's a huge pile of them and some tree needles on the floor.


We headed over to the bar around midnight. Me and JC had a pathetic snowball battle on the way. When we got to the bar area there were about 30 people in an across-the-street snowball war. We watched from the bar window as the cops came and then people just kept throwing snowballs at the cop car.



KR and Cory showed up from work and they said someone had moved the contruction cones on Hawthorne to block the whole street off, so their cab just ran over the cones. At this point I had been drinking for almost 12 hours and it was starting to hit me. So when the bars let out and snowball madness commenced I just felt kinda sad. I held one snowball in my hand just smoothing it to perfection. Cory asked if he should sleep in my bed. I said I guessed so. I gave him a glass of water and two orange slices. I woke him when I came to bed and we stayed up till 6am. I somehow spilled an entire glass of water onto myself and the bed so we slept together all close on the far side of the bed. It's a pretty good trick to turn a random sex night into a cuddly rendez-vous. I should send it as a tip to Cosmo.


"Do you believe in ghosts?"


"Why, do you think there's a ghost here?"


"Uh. I don't know. Do you believe in God?"


"... Yeah... Do you?"


"Yeah" I whispered, barely speaking. I kissed his forearm and he kissed my head. We woke at 9:30 when his girlfriend called 5 times in a row.


School was cancelled again today. I swear to god people just hate working here and will cancel for any reason possible. Which is fine with me. I think I might take the greyhound to San Francisco next weekend. I need to get out of this fucking place.

By the way, I've never actually seen an episode of the O.C. But I do love that Phantom Planet song.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

(cont...)and there was a time that i "shoe-skiied" down the middle of belmont at 2am to get to walgreens(always open) to buy a pack of doral lights. on my way back i passed the triple nickel and a group of people who couldn't figure out how to walk on the ice. as i passed by them i heard someone say:"that's how you do it". i looked back to see a group of fellow drunken souls "shoe-skiing"
there way back home...

Unknown said...

Thats awesome. Drunk people plus snow = building community. yessss